Wednesday, October 2, 2013

And Then It Just Hit Me.....

I'll explain the title in a moment but I wanted to share something that I'm working on that has been rewarding in a few different ways.  However the subject matter of this task isn't a good thing at the moment.  Let me explain:

Last month, my beautiful niece Nikki started posting information about her 9-year-old cousin "Bubba" who was diagnosed with Stage 3 liver cancer. 9 Years Old and is being treated at the children's hospital at Banner Desert Medical Center off the US-60 and Dobson Road.  I admit, it didn't really hit me until later on what that actually meant to me.  I shared her information with my friends and honestly just let it be.  Then one day, everything was clear to me.  Good friends of mine were doing a radioathon for Phoenix Childrens Hospital, an awesome facility in central Phoenix.  I was listening to my friends tell stories on the air about the kids they have met and getting emotional about it.  At first I was jealous because in my 22 years of my career, I have never had a chance to do something that rewarding, that meaningful to someone I didn't even know.  Then it hit me on my way home from work..I can help.  By the time I got home I had a game plan in my head on what I could do to help Nikki and Bubba out.  With 9 years covering sports on the side, I'd like to think I have a pretty good working relationship with all four pro sports teams here in town and Arizona State.  So I told Nikki that I had an idea for a raffle or silent auction to help raise money for Bubba's family to help take care of bills, or whatever they need during his treatment.  I sent emails out to everyone in hopes we can collect some things to hold a raffle.  Here is a list of things I have to pick up this week:

First I have to thank the Phoenix Coyotes, and if you know me I hold these people in high regard anyway because of how they run things.  They have donated an autographed picture and puck from Coyotes forward Paul Bissonnette.  That happened pretty much within a hour or two of sending them an email.  Next was the Arizona Diamondbacks.  We are still working to finalize something with them, but are confident that we will have something pretty cool to raffle off.  More later on that.  Same with Arizona State, they are reviewing everything and we hope to hear back from them soon and again, things look great from them.  Next was the Phoenix Suns, who have donated an autographed picture of guard Goran Dragic.  Next was the Arizona Cardinals, who have donated an autographed football from this years team.  All of this has come together in about a week.  What an awesome response from these guys in such short time.  Details on the raffle and how to buy tickets are coming soon. Stay tuned to my Facebook page or on Twitter for more information.  And if you have Twitter and aren't following me, what's the deal??  haha. Follow me at @davezorn72 if you want. 

I'm looking to add more raffle items, so if anyone has a business or can get us donated gift cards or stuff like that let me know.  

Nikki has done a tremendous job setting up a softball event in East Mesa on Sunday, October 27th.  If you are on Facebook, like Bubba's page do a search for: Team Bubba - Kicking Cancer's Butt.  All his updates and information on events are on the page.  If this works right, here's the info on the event.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=1428645457361697&set=a.1424149777811265.1073741831.1423692474523662&type=1&theater

On the page itself is information on a garage sale they are having on October 12th as well.  Also on that page is his touching story and what he is going through right now.

If you can't go to the event or garage sale, or you don't want to buy raffle tickets, but you want to help.  You can.  Donations are being accepted at all Chase Bank locations.  Just make a deposit to account # 2979862961  or online at www.gofundme.com/TeamBubba 

All proceeds raised go right to Bubba and his family.

Now, you may ask me why am I doing this.  My answer is simple and maybe a little lengthy so bare with me.  Most, if not all, of you know I have a 6-year-old son Ethan. Some of you have even spent time with him.  I thank God Ethan is in good shape and I don't even know how I would be if he was in Bubba's situation.  I know I would appreciate the help and I know they do, they have already expressed it.  Plus, after a long time not talking to each other, this has been incredible coordinating this with Nikki, which at least for me, has made us closer.  I love this girl so much you all have no idea.  Then again, I always have.  Plus, it feels good to make a difference, as small as it is.  If nothing else, I hope to teach Ethan the lesson I am learning as I go.  It feels really good and rewarding and I can see myself doing this again.  Thanks for reading this and if you help out, my dearest thanks from Nikki too. 

Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment