Sunday, February 13, 2011

Back To Sports

Sorry it's been a while since I have blogged.  Some things have changed, but some things haven't.  What has changed is the Suns have figured out a way to get back into playoff contention.  They have done it with defense.  Yep, I said defense.  That is something they had little clue of over the past few years.  What hasn't changed much is the Coyotes.  They still don't have an owner..yet..but as of this blog, they are one point out of the lead in the Pacific Division.  It's a log jam for them and they have a tough schedule coming up, so it will be interesting the last 20-plus games.

But, that's not what I am writing about this time.  This blog is to share with my friends and family a bout of embarrassment.  It was a funny situation between myself and Suns head coach Alvin Gentry.  The day Utah Jazz head coach Jerry Sloan resigned unexpectantly, the Suns were playing Golden State.  Coach Gentry always meets with the media an hour before tipoff.  So, we were talking with him about the change in Utah, since the Suns played them in Salt Lake City the next night.  He thought we haven't seen the last of Coach Sloan and that he will coach again.  I asked him: "is there a team that you wouldn't want to see him coach."  And before I could correct myself and add the word "against" he jumped in and said: "yeah...the Suns."  And he, and the room started laughing.  I admit..me too.  I gave him a fastball right down the center of the reporting plate and he drilled to deep centerfield and out of the park for a home run.  I am entering my 20th year of working in this business and yes, brain farts happen.  Coach then told me: "you left it out there for me, I had to take the shot."  I told him I understood.  He then answered my question like I intended to ask it.  Coach Gentry is a great guy and we in the media here in Phoenix are lucky to have a guy like him around. 

Just thought I would share that story for all of you.  I still have the audio clip and probably will for a while.

Until next time. Much success.

DZ

No comments:

Post a Comment