Sunday, January 9, 2011

First Non-Sports Related Blog

I said when I started doing this thing they call "blogging" that every once in a while, I'll go off sports and talk about other things.  This is one of those times.  The events in Tucson on Saturday, January 8th, 2011 not only affected the residents in Tucson, but all of Arizona and it sent shockwaves throughout the nation.  As of Sunday, six people are dead and numerous are injured, including a United States Congresswoman.  In my 9-5 job, I write newscasts/summaries for a number of markets, two of those are Phoenix and Tucson.  I have become very familiar, or actually have re-familiarized myself, with the politics in this state.  In my 38 years of life, I have spent all of it in Arizona.  Right now, this is the worst state government in my lifetime, even when Fife Symington and Ev Mecham were governor.  But, I'm not getting into all of that with this blog.  This is one is different. 

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved in the shooting.  In my time wiritng news for Tucson, I have become familiar with Gabrielle Giffords and Raul Grivalda.  Giffords is who I want people representing us to be.  I am a registered Republican, but I have moved to an independent.  Too much discontent and stupidity in both parities to pick just one. Giffords is a moderate Democrat.  During the recent re-election campaign, she wanted all politicians to stop the bickering and come together to do what is right for the country.  She is a champion of  wanting to get small businesses back up and running, to restore that what is important to the economy.  And just like yesterday, I believe she truly cared about the people she served for.  She set up these public events to bring back to her people, what is going on in Washington and take ideas back with her.  I truly believe she is all about wanting to help people.  And it was that instance, where some derranged, idiotic, nutjob decided to became a lone "freedom fighter" and started firing at anything that moved, starting first with Giffords.  If it wasn't for quick-thinking bystanders who tackled him while he was reloading, it could have been worse. 

I wholeheartedly agree with the Pima County Sheriff when he said, this state is the "tombstone of America."  Last year the state legislature passed a law that stated people can have guns in bars.  GUNS IN BARS.  Really?  Oh, by the way, they can't drink at the bar if they are packing.  Great.  What is going to stop some goofball to get hammered before getting to the bar and with the first argument he is in, he starts shooting up the place.  Nothing will.  Currently in the Arizona Legislature, there is a bill that would allow GUNS IN SCHOOLS.  Yep, teachers and administrators could carry weapons in our schools.  Ok..how are we sure that a teacher isn't stable enough and it will take one wisecrack from a student and it's on.  Or, a student finds out where the gun is when the teacher isn't looking and..pow...another Columbine.  Does anyone else in this state think that is absolutely insaine.  Not Governor Brewer, not Senate President Russell Pierce, not AG Tom Horne, who have all gone on record saying they support the legislation.  Look, I am all for people carrying a gun with the proper id and for hunting, it's a constitutional right.  But there should be a time and place for everything.  Guns in schools and bars is just plain stupid. 

What happened yesterday in Tucson should not start another flame war between the Republicans and Democrats.  What should happen now is a process to work together, FINALLY, to figure out what is wrong in our country and state and fix it.  This also includes the talk-show hosts on TV and radio.  Yes, my industry is tainted and I hope something like this will wake everyone up.  I hope this will challenge Americans to turn off the Glenn Beck's, Bill O'Reilly's, Keith Olbermann's and the rest of the insaine, and get people to read.  I know it's a novel concept, but the truth is there if you just look for it.  Those clowns are just throwing things out there and getting people to watch.  You know...ratings.  It's what drives the media.  The more people watch, the more companies will buy, the more money is made.  I call it: broadcast math.  Now, I am not blamming the events of yesterday on the talk-show hosts, not at all.  But I do believe they have an influence on how people think and act.  I've seen it with my own eyes, it happens.  If this doesn't change, copycats will take what this waste of life in Tucson did and make it their own and shoot up something, someone, somewhere else.  This isn't a religious problem, this isn't a racial problem, but it's an American problem and it needs to be dealt with before we have another Timothy McVeigh, or McVeighs, running around again.  Then again, we probably already do.

Thanks for reading and even if you disagree with what I have said, please keep those people affected in the shooting in their thoughts and prayers as we move forward.

DZ

No comments:

Post a Comment